Monday, March 19, 2007

We All Kinda Fumbled Through The Jitterbug

So, a solid weekend, I must say. All in all, I wish they could all be like that, but I would run out of money very quickly.

The weekend started on Thursday this week, as Dave came up and I was determined to show him a good time. He insisted that it would be a good time no matter what, as long as beer was involved. I'm sure he would have been right, but the night ended up pretty massive. We went to Brathaus just the two of us. Emily came out first, after me and Dave had about 2 in us a piece. Then once we were hitting 6 or 7 Marie, Matt, and Kyle showed up. We had one or two more and headed over to Nate and Wally's. We got a pitcher, finished about half of it and headed back to the apartment. Dave bought some Hawaiian pizza. It was gross so I only had two pieces and passed out.

The next morning was kinda rough, but after a few more hours of sleep along with water and aspirin I was good enough for a delicious lunch at Wafflehouse. Tasty for sure. I kind of vegged out for the rest of the day. That night, I went out to Steve's for a little get together. It was a relatively sober night but we had a rad time, dancing and talking with friends. I tire of the bars pretty quickly, but I'll never get tired of these kinds of parties.

Saturday was St. Patrick's day, so while I'm not really concerned with the 1/8th of me that's Irish (it gets kept down by the 6/8th of me that's English) I took the opportunity to drink all day. I was drinking the Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout I mentioned in an earlier post along with Bell's Amber Ale and a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine-Style Ale. The Black Chocolate Stout was fantastic and very high in alcohol content, definitely a steal at 7 dollars for a 6 pack. The barleywine was terrific as usual but I got pretty tired of the amber ale. Throughout the day, I was drunk three separate times and got two free meals (thanks to Meg for the meal plan money and Sarah for the free Chipolte). It was a good day that culminated with me and Grant sitting on the fire escape of Dustin's apartment that overlooks downtown. We just yelled at people as they passed, reveling in the impunity the fire escape allowed.

Nothing happened Sunday.

Today, I went to some class but spent a good portion of the day cleaning. We let our place get out of control and it just needed to end. I also cooked some crab cakes and rice (I'm so domestic) for me and my friend Sarah. Four of the six crab cakes turned out really well. It's a dish I can kick ass at making, I just need to work on my patience to avoid burning them. We drank the Quarryman beer I mentioned in earlier post because she came back from Texas talking about Shiner Bock so I wanted to introduce her to a real Ohio beer. I loved the whole meal and she said she enjoyed it as well. We ate ice cream and watched Jesus Camp. That movie is astonishing in the truths it presents in an objective way. All in all, it was a very nice night, a quiet way to cap out a great weekend.

In other news, I'm reading Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. It's a real fantastic book, a better job than any biography or even autobiography could do at getting into Steinbeck's head. He's definately my favorite author, although I still haven't read many of his denser works (East of Eden, Grapes of Wrath, etc.). I plan to get to them, but right now it's more fun to read stories about drinking and fighting.

2 Comments:

Blogger _Theresa said...

ever since I read of mice and men I've had a minor obsession with Mr. Steinbeck. That's just me though.

9:48 AM  
Blogger emily said...

you didn't mention the gigantic dog that we saw at the liquor store.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home