Sunday, March 25, 2007

There's Something In The Air Today, Makes Your Worries All Just Melt Away

Miami ended up being an awesome time. The team, Grant, Chris, Matt, Mat, Sarah and myself, left at around 4 with directions to the apartment of a few members of the Miami improv team, The Tower Players. I drove with Matt and after a few bad driving choices, we were on track to getting there by about 7:15. The show started at 7, so we needed to head straight to the theater, so we needed to figure out how to get there. We asked a few pedestrians and we made it there around 7:30. No problem since we were scheduled to go on at about 9. We got to relax, eat a few brownies and watch the Miami teams. They were all very entertaining and good at the art of improv.

We met a few team members outside, Ben and Angie, between shows. They were very friendly and very nice, I hoped that all the Tower Players would be so welcoming. We did our show and considering it was a new environment and a totally new crowd I think we did a solid job. It could have been better, specifically the edits could have been tighter, but we got a good response. After our show and another Tower Players team (they have a lot of members and a lot of teams) we met a few more people and they were all just as cool. This was a big relief as it seemed like everyone else we saw on campus was just the biggest stereotypical preppy college kid, sweaters around the neck, cargo shorts, etc.

After the whole thing was over, we headed back to the apartment where we would be partying and sleeping. I got a little nervous when it was just one guy, Matt, and a spinning light globe thingy, but me and Matt started listening to the Replacements and singing our lungs out. That was a blast. More and more people showed up and by the time I had a few drinks, the party was in full swing. I probably should have drank a little less, but it was a really great time.

I woke up on Saturday around noon with no one else in the room. They were all next door playing Nintendo games. We ate some breakfast made lovingly by another Matt (lots of Matts in this post!) and then I met up with my brother, Adam, and his girlfriend, Gina, to go visit my Great Aunt Martha and Uncle Phil. They are getting on in years but are both so friendly, caring, and very funny. They have so many great stories. Both me and Adam were not allowed to leave without taking bagfulls of Oreos. The reason they were in bags was because I refused to take the whole package. We stopped at the women's volleyball match to visit my second cousins, Darcy and Scott. Scott was announcing the game and Darcy was running the sound, so they couldn't visit long.

My brother dropped me off back at the apartments just as a game of Monopoly was starting up. What luck that I got there in time to play! First, because I love Monopoly and second, because it would have been a boring three and a half hours if I had to just watch. Grant and Sarah had headed home, so Me, Chris, one of the Miami Matts, Matt, Jacob, and Katie played. There was some serious wheeling and dealing and I was getting by pretty well just owning the railroads and getting good rolls, but Chris came out victorious. I don't play to win, though, I just play to pretend to be a shrewd business man (I'm not).

That night, some more improv was performed. More Tower Players (there's so many of them) and a team from Dayton University. It was another good night of shows. After the show, we said our goodbyes and were on the road by about 11:30. After getting a little lost and passing the same ridiculous frat house decorated for a cowboy/cowgirl party three times, we got some bad directions and ended up in Virginia. Fortunately. we managed to get back on track and after about three hours of telling stories and waxing philosophic with Matt, we made it back home. We were thinking of staying the night in Oxford, but I'm glad I got to sleep in my own bed.

The weekend really couldn't have gone better and I'd like to thank the Tower Players we met and befriended although they will probably never read this. So, Matt, Matt, Ben, Angie, Jacob, John, Katie, Jamie, Chris, Chris, and a whole bunch of others, thank you very much for making us feel like part of the gang.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

My name is Matt, too!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home