Sunday, April 08, 2007

I'll Never Share A Shopping Cart With Her

So, a quick post based on a thought I had today. There's a guitar solo in the song Supermarket Fantasy by Screeching Weasel that pretty much encompasses everything I like about punk music. The song is pretty silly, it's about falling for a stranger at the supermarket instantly (a feeling I've experienced many times, although maybe not at a supermarket), but the guitar solo is amazing. It's very simple, but every feeling of loneliness and pining I've ever felt can be found in the notes played within it and that's what punk music is to me. It's simple and direct, but it lets me make a connection I've never found with any other kind of music. Also, the solo in the song directly following that one is technically impressive, so it's not that these bands don't have notable skills, the art comes from knowing when to use it and when to let simple ideas speak for themselves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dustin Meadows! said...

At the moment I can't speak regarding that particular song, but I think your comments regarding the technicality of punk music is pretty much spot on.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home